Squid, Fennel, and Avacado Salad recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 11/2 pounds fresh squid, cleaned patted dry and cut into thin rings
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced Belgian endive
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh sweet anise or 2/3 teaspoon pulverized fennel seed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 large avocados, peeled, pitted and cubed
- 3 small fennel bulbs, cut length wise into strips or 3 small heads romaine lettuce, cut lengthwise into strips
- 1 lemon, scored and thinly sliced (garnish) Omit these ingredients if out of season
Heat olive oil in heavy skillet over low heat. Add squid and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
Combine lemon juice and peel in bowl. whisk in olive oil 1 drop at a time until mixture is thickened.
Stir in garlic, onion, fennel, anise, salt, pepper and squid and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 days, stirring occasionally. Add avocado to salad several hours before serving, mix well.
Drain offexcess dressing, if necessary. Mound salad in center of round serving platter. Arrange strips of fennel, endive or romaine around salad in spoke pattern.
Set one lemon slice between spoke and one in center of salad.
Cover and refrigerate.
Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.
[Return to Minnie Giraldi's Home Page]
Main Menu | Recipe Search | Newsgroups | Rumbles & Murmurs | Culinary Careers
QuickMeals | Secret Ingredients | Help Wanteds | Archives | Feedback
Copyright © 1999 StarChefs All rights reserved.