Yield: 8 to 10 scones
Rich and delicious, these scones can be assembled and baked in no time.
I assure you that the aroma of the baking scones will roust anyone from
under the comforter on a chilly morning.
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (about 2 ounces) dried apricots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg white, lighly beaten
- 1 to 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Spray a baking sheet with vegetable oil
spray or line it with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking
powder and salt. Add the apricots and pecans. Slowly stir in the cream
and milk to form a sticky dough.
3. Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface and using a lightly
floured rolling pin, roll it onto a 9-inch circle about 3/4 inch thick.
4. Stamp out the scones using a 2- or 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter or an
overturned glass. Place the scones about 1 inch apart on the prepared
baking sheet. Gather the scraps, re-roll, and make more scones.
5. Brush the tops of the scones with egg white and sprinkle them with
sugar. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm or at