Yield: 2 loaf cakes; serves 8 to 12
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 7 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, washed, hulled, and sliced
1. To prepare the cake, preheat the oven to 350¡F. Butter two 8-by-5-inch loaf pans.
2. In a bowl combine the flour and baking powder and whisk to mix.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the eggs and sugar and
beat on medium-high speed until smooth. Reduce the speed to low and
slowly add the cream and the flour mixture, alternating additions and
beginning and ending with the cream. Add the butter, lemon juice, and
zest and beat until mixed and smooth.
4. Pour the batter into the loaf pans, dividing it evenly and smoothing
the top of each. Bake on the center rack for about an hour until the
tops are golden brown, pull away slightly from the sides of the pan, and
a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pans set
on wire racks for about 15 minutes before turning out to cool to room
temperature on the wire racks.
5. To prepare the glaze, combine the confectioner's sugar and lemon
juice in a bowl and whisk well.
6. Set the racks holding the cakes on wax paper and pour the glaze over
the cakes, letting it run down the sides. Slice the cake and serve each
slice topped with strawberries.