Encrusted Veal Loin with mole sauce, grain
cakes, chipotle hollandaise, and fruit salsa
The Scottsdale Institute
Adapted by StarChefs
- 12, 2oz. loin medallions
- 3/4 cup blue corn meal
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp fresh black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- sauteed field greens
1. In skillet, toast pumpkin seeds and cumin seeds.
2. Once toasted, put in food processor with blade and chop to a fine
3. Remove from processor and put in mixing bowl, along with garlic,
chili powder, salt and pepper. Mix well.
4. Sprinkle medallions with salt and pepper. Coat medallions in dry
mixture, then dip into milk, and then coat medallions in dry mixture
5. Preheat skillet, add olive oil and pan fry medallions to desired
doneness. (Preferably medium, approx. 2-3 minutes per side.)
- 1tsp. oil
- 1 T. garlic, minced with small blade
- 2 T. shallots, minced with small blade
- 1/2 c.tequila
- 1/2 c.raisins
- 4 - 5 ea.anchos (1.25 oz dried)
- 1/3 c. piľon nuts toasted
- 24oz. veal stock
- 1ea. Mexican chocolate (3.1 oz)
- salt, to taste
1. Sweat garlic and shallots in oil.
2. Plump raisins in Tequila.
3. Deglaze with tequila mixture.
4. Add stock.
5. Add piľon nuts.
6. Add anchos.
7. Simmer10 minutes.
8. Transfer to blender.
9. Add chocolate and continue blending.
10. Strain, then adjust seasoning and consistency.
- 1 1/2 c. chicken stock
- 1/4 c. quinoa
- 1/4 c. red lentils
- 1/4 c. Israeli cous-cous
- 2 T. amaranth
- 1/2 ea. red jalapeľo
- 1/2 ea. small yellow onion
- 1T. cilantro leaves
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 1/8 tsp saffron
- 1/4 -1/2 c. bread crumbs
- 1ea. egg
1. Cook quinoa in 1/2 c. chicken stock with a pinch of salt for 15 minutes.
2. Cook red lentils in 1/2 c. chicken stock with a pinch of salt for
5 minutes, until al dente.
3. Place cous-cous in bowl and cover with 1/2 c. hot chicken stock.
4. Pop amaranth in a saute pan.
5. In the food processor small bowl with blade, pulse jalapeľo, onion,
cilantro and garlic until fine.
6. Steep saffron in 1 tsp. hot water.
7. Combine all grains, vegetable and saffron. Beat eggs with hand mixer
fitted with whisks. Fold into grains.
8. Add bread crumbs to bind. Adjust seasoning.
9. Place mixture into shallow pan with another pan on top to compress
mixture and refrigerate for 1/2 hour.
10. Cut into desired shapes and pan fry in canola oil until golden brown.
- 3 each egg yolks
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 1/2 c. whole butter (melted 150 degrees F.)
- 3ea. chilpolte
- salt, to taste
1. Place egg yolks in blender container.
2. Add lemon juice.
3. Mix on high speed for15 seconds.
4. Slowly drizzle in melted butter with blender running.
5. Add chipoltes, run until blended.
6. Add salt.
7. Add warm water if necessary to adjust consistency.
- 1/2 c. papaya, small dice
- 1/2 c. pineapple, small dice
- 1 T. cilantro, minced
- 1 T. mint, minced
- 1 T. red bell pepper brunoise
- 1 T. lime juice
Combine ingredients - let rest refrigerated for 1/2 hour.
Arrange on top of sauteed greens with mole and chipolte hollandaise.
Serve with sauteed grain cakes and fresh fruit salsa.