in Cassis with Mascarpone Cream
the most of beautiful blackberries' short season by serving them lightly
sweetened and topped with rich mascarpone cream. If blackberries are
in short supply, substitute another fresh berry. This is very nice accompanied
by biscotti or another type of cookie.
Mascarpone Cream :
- 1/3 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
Blackberries in Cassis:
- 4 cups fresh blackberries
- 1/4 cup crème de cassis
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1. To prepare the mascarpone cream, whisk together
the mascarpone cheese, sugar and vanilla. Add the yogurt and stir until
smooth. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
2. To prepare the blackberries, put the berries in
a large bowl. Add the crème de cassis, sugar and lemon juice
and stir gently but thoroughly. If not serving immediately, cover and
refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
3. Spoon the berries into goblets or decorative glass
dessert bowls and top with the chilled cream. Serve immediately.
Note: the mascarpone cream can be
made up to 2 days ahead and stored covered in the refrigerator.
Blackberries in Cassis with Mascarpone Cream-the cream is great over
other berries, sliced peaches or nectarines or spooned on warm fruit
pies or cobblers.
Dinner by Barbara Scott-Goodman and Mary Goodbody
Copyright 1998 by Barbara Scott-Goodman and Mary Goodbody
Permission by Chronicle Books
[More Summer Recipes]