|Thai Curry Soup with Marinated Shellfish
Chef Jack Yoss of Nine Thirty at the W Hotel - Los
Adapted by StarChefs.com
Yield: 8 Servings
- 2 Tablespoons salt, plus a pinch
- 1 pound Prince Edward Island mussels
- 1 pound Manila clams
- ½ pound scallops
- ½ pound shrimp, peeled
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 bunch mint, finely chopped
- 1 bunch Thai basil, finely chopped
- Fish sauce, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons grape seed oil
- 1 small piece ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon green curry paste (Chef Yoss prefers Mae
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 6 (14-ounce) cans coconut milk
- 10 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 Tablespoon palm sugar
- 2 limes, juiced
For Marinated Shellfish:
In a 4-quart pot, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Add 2
Tablespoons salt. Cook mussels and clams until they have opened,
then set aside and cool. Save the cooking water. Cook scallops
and peeled shrimp in same pot for about 4 minutes, then set
aside and cool. Remove mussels and clams from their shells,
then cut the scallops and shrimp in half, lengthwise. Place
in mixing bowl. Add the lime juice and a pinch of the chopped
cilantro, mint and Thai basil. Reserve the rest of the chopped
herbs for the soup. Season the shellfish with fish sauce and
pinch of salt.
In a 2-quart pot, sauté the ginger, lemongrass, curry
paste and turmeric in the grape seed oil on medium heat for
3 minutes. Add the coconut milk and kaffir lime leaves, then
simmer gently on low heat for 20 minutes. Then add the palm
sugar, remaining chopped herbs and limejuice. Add fish sauce
and salt to taste. Remove the lime leaves.
Place 1/8 of the marinated shellfish in a deep soup bowl.
Ladle about 8 ounces of the soup over the shellfish.
An off-dry German Riesling such as the H. Zilliken "Butterfly"
Estate Riesling Halbtrocken 2003.