5 lbs. red potatoes, peeled, grated (in a food processor)
onions, peeled and grated
"eye round" (or similar lean cut of meat), 2-3 lbs, whole.
lbs. small potatoes, scrubbed
and pepper to taste
Combine grated potatoes and onions. Season with salt and
pepper (be generous with the pepper). 2-4 minced cloves
of garlic can be added if desired.
2. Place mixture in roasting pan.
3. Nestle meat in center of grated potato mixture.
4. Surround meat with small scrubbed potatoes.
5. Cover pan with its own lid or tightly with heavy duty
aluminum foil. THIS IS NOT A MISTAKE: DO NOT ADD ANY LIQUID!
6. Bake overnight at 225 degrees.
You may need more potatoes to fill the particular pan being
used. A minimum 1" layer of grated potatoes and onions is
This is a very flexible recipe; amounts can be varied at
will. The potatoes will have a creamy texture, and the meat
will be very tender.