The W Hotel
201 Park Avenue South
New York, NY 10003
Lettuce Salad with Fiery Shrimp Dressing
Chefs Todd English and Victor LaPlaca of Olives –
New York, NY
Adapted by StarChefs.com
Yield: 10-15 Servings
- 4 heads bibb or Boston lettuce
- 1 quart plain aioli (recipe follows)
- 1 teaspoon sriracha (hot chili sauce available
at most Asian markets)
- 1 teaspoon salted capers
- 1 teaspoon chopped anchovy
- 6 ounces chopped chives
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Lemon juice to taste
- Salt and pepper
- Blended oil for deep frying
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup semolina flour
- 1 pound rock shrimp
- 2 bunches mâche or lamb’s lettuce
- 1 cup coarsely chopped garlic
- 4 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 4 cups extra-virgin olive oil
Wash and dry lettuce, refrigerate.
Add sriracha, capers, anchovy, chives, mustard, lemon juice, salt
and pepper to aioli base and mix until creamy. Set dressing aside.
Heat oil in deep fryer. Combine flour and semolina in a shallow
dish. Coat rock shrimp with flour mix and deep fry until golden.
Place fried shrimp on several layers of paper towel to drain excess
Toss shrimp and lettuce with dressing and divide among serving plates.
Garnish each plate with mâche.
All ingredients should be at room temperature. Place 1/4 cup of
garlic, 1 teaspoon salt and 2 Tablespoons of oil in a blender and
blend on high for about 2 minutes. Transfer to a marble mortar.
Add 3/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons of the oil, about 1 teaspoon at a time,
stirring vigorously with the pestle. The process will take about
15 minutes, and the mixture will become very thick and glossy. Transfer
to a bowl. Repeat with remaining ingredients.