Chef Jonathan Wright of New Orleans Grill
Windsor Court Hotel-New Orleans, LA
Adapted by StarChefs.com
Yield: 6 Servings
- 2 cups red wine
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup ruby port
- 3 pounds hanger steak
- 1/3 cup carrots, peeled and diced ¼-inch thick
- 1/3 cup onions, peeled and diced ¼-inch thick
- 1/3 cup celery, peeled and diced ¼-inch thick
- 1/3 cup leeks, peeled and diced ¼-inch thick
- 6 bay leaves
- 12 juniper berries, crushed
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 Tablespoons garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 teaspoon course, crushed black peppercorns
- 8 ounces veal stock or demi-glace
- 1/3 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 ounces smoked bacon
Combine red wine, balsamic vinegar and port in a saucepan and
heat on medium until boiled down to half original volume. Cool
to room temperature.
Trim steaks by removing fat and cartilage down center of cut.
Place steaks in plastic or stainless container. Add cooled marinating
liquid, as well as chopped vegetables, bay leaves, juniper berries
and herbs. Cover and marinate refrigerated for 24 hours.
Remove steaks and dry on a cloth; drain vegetables. Transfer marinade
to sauté pan and begin to reduce, yielding half of original
amount of liquid.
In a medium-sized pan, sauté vegetables until lightly caramelized.
Add veal stock or demi glace and wine marinade reduction to pan
with button mushrooms and bacon. Reduce again slowly by one-third;
pass through cheesecloth or fine sieve and season to taste.
Oil surface of grill and heat to sizzling. Lightly season hanger
steaks and place on grill, turning after a few minutes. Cook to
preferred doneness (approximately 6 minutes). Add a small pat
of butter to each steak upon removing from heat, and pour reduction