Chef Norman Van Aken
Adapted by StarChefs
Yield: 4 servings
A Tavel rosé or a California blush with low residual sugar
would be a refreshing complement.
This is a summertime dish. It is light, spicy, and a cooling
foil to hot evenings.
Four 8-ounce grouper fillets, cut on an extreme bias
Tropical Fruit Salad
- 1 papaya, seeds and skin removed, cut into small dice
- 1 mango, seed and skin removed, cut into small dice
- 1/4 pineapple, core, outside skin, and eyes removed, cut into
- 1/2 tomato, concassee
- 2 jalapeños or serrano chiles, stems, seeds and ribs
discarded and cut into small dice
- 1/3 cup Spanish wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup red onion, peeled and diced small
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup cilantro or mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 7/8 cup peanut oil
- 1/4 cup roasted sesame oil
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 orange, cut in half
- 10 whole black peppercorns, slightly bruised
- 2 bay leaves
Prepare the salsa:
Gently combine all ingredients and keep at room temperature.
Prepare the marinade:
Combine all of the ingredients and keep at room temperature.
Prepare a hot grill and oil it. Slip the fish into the marinade
for about 3 minutes. Grill the fish until just cooked through.
Place the fish on warm plates and top with the desired amount
of salsa. The salsa will keep in the refrigerator for about a