Adapted by StarChefs
Just about everyone in Louisiana has a summer garden. And no
matter how small or large, it will usually harbor a few bushes
of okra. While some of it makes its way into gumbos, there's
always extra for pickling and for salads.
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 4 teaspoons Rustic Rub (below)
- 16 okra pods, washed and cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup solid vegetable shortening, for frying
- 4 cups assorted salad greens
- 1 recipe Green Onion Dressing(below)
Yield: 2 cups
- 8 tablespoons paprika
- 3 tablespoons cayenne
- 5 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons onion powder
- 6 tablespoons salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons dried organo
- 2 1/2 tablespoons dried thyme
Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Blend well. Can
be stored in an airtight container in your spice cabinet for
up to 3 months.
Green Onion Dressing:
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions, green parts only
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk for 2 to
3 minutes to blend. Or put the ingredients in a jar fitted with
a lid and shake vigorously for 15 seconds. Refrigerate for at
least 1 hour before serving. The dressing will keep for several
days in the refrigerator.
Beat together the buttermilk and egg in a small bowl. Add 2
teaspoons of the rub and stir to blend. In another bowl, combine
the flour, cornmeal, and 1 teaspoon of the rub Dredge the okra
in the flour mixture and heat the shortening in a skillet. When
it is hot, place the okra, split side down, in the oil amd fry,
turning once, for about 2 minutes, or until lightly golden.
Drain on paper towels. sprinkle the okra with the remaining
1 teaspoon of rub. Divide the greens into 4 equal portions.
Top each with okra and drizzle with dressing. Serve immediately.
From LOUISIANA REAL & RUSTIC by Emeril Lagasse
Copyright 1996 By Emeril Lagasse
Permission by William Morrow & Company, Inc.