Yield: 8 Servings
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- ¼ cup blanched hazelnuts, toasted
- ¼ cup blanched almonds, toasted
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and germ removed
- 2 Tablespoons pimenton (smoked Spanish paprika)
- 1 red chili pepper
- 2 slices bread, crusts removed and toasted with extra-virgin
- 2 Tablespoons tomato sauce
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Salt to taste
Grilled Spring Onions:
- 2 pounds baby leeks,scallions, or baby bulb onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
For Romesco Sauce:
Lightly grease peppers with vegetable oil and grill over a flame.
Blister the skin and place into a bag to rest and loosen skin.
Peel and discard the skin and seeds. Reserve on the side.
Using a mortar and pestle, ground together the nuts and garlic,
or combine in a food processor. Put the pimenton, chili pepper,
and bread in the processor and process further. Add the tomato
sauce to adjust consistency and process again. Take the sauce
out of the food processor and add the extra-virgin olive oil and
sherry vinegar by hand. Season with salt and reserve.
For Grilled Spring Onions:
Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to medium - high. Trim and oil
the baby leeks with extra-virgin olive oil. Season leeks with
salt and pepper and grill over flames until cooked. Remove from
grill. Drizzle Romesco sauce over the leeks and serve.
Suggested Wine Pairing:
Kyrie 2000 (Priorat, Spain) or Gessami Gramona 2004 (Penedes,