of Slow Roasted Beets and Goat Cheese With a Red Wine Vinaigrette
Patrick Robertson, one sixtyblue, Chicago, Il
For the Vegetable Herb Stock:
Red Wine Vinaigrette:
- 16 beets, medium-size
cup red wine vinaigrette
lb. goat cheese
cup toasted hazelnut
cup olive oil
cup onion, chopped
cup celery, chopped
cup carrot, chopped
cup red wine
cup chicken stock or can broth
cup red wine vinegar
salt and black pepper
1. Small dice or chop shallots and sweat in 2 tablespoons olive
oil over low heat until tender. Remove and cool.
2. In separate pan, sweat carrot, celery, onion, in similar
fashion as shallot. When tender, add red wine vinegar and half
of the red wine. Turn flame to high and reduce until almost
3. Add chicken stock and simmer for 2 minutes.
4. Remove , strain, and cool.
5. In bar blender, add cool chicken stock liquid and 1 egg white
and half of cooked shallots.
6. With machine on, slowly add olive oil until emulsion becomes
thick. Remove and add remaining red wine and shallots, then
season to taste with salt and pepper.
Method and Technique:
1. Trim root ends of beets.
2. Line sheet tray with course salt 1/4 inch thick and place
trimmed beets on tray. Note: Space so the beets do not touch.
3. In preheated 300° oven, place beet tray and roast for
90 minutes or until tender.
4. Remove beets, cool and peel outer skin.
5. Slice trimmed beet at 1/4 inch thickness.
6. Using 1 1/4 inch cutter ring, make disks from each slice.
7. Put goat cheese into pastry bag fitted with a star tip.
When ready to use, place bag in warm oven to soften cheese.
8. Separate hazelnut into 2 pieces and place on sheet tray
or roasting pan.
9. Place hazelnut in 350° oven for 4 to 5 minutes to roast.
Remove and cool.
To Assemble the Dish:
1. Take 9 beet disks and lay out on work surface.
2. Pipe soft goat cheese using circular motion to cover surface
of 2 disks.
3. Place 1 disk on top of each other, then top with a third
4. When 3 beets have been completed, place in the center of
5. With a spoon, pour vinaigrette on top of beets and plate
in a free form fashion.
6. Garnish plate with hazelnuts and mizzuna.
Please Note: this dish works nice with the addition of orange
1. Using zester of knife, take thin strips of orange peel.
2. Blanch in boiling water for 1 minute to remove acidity.
Remove and shock in cold water.
3. Add this to the dish in free form fashion.