From Chef Mark Peel, adapted by StarChefs
Yield: Serves 8-10
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 large brown onions (2 pounds), peeled and
- 3 celery stalks (12 ounces), trimmed and coarsely
- 1 large carrot (4 ounces), trimmed, peeled,
and coarsely chopped
- 1 large parsnip (3 ounces), trimmed, peeled,
and coarsely chopped
- 10 cups Chicken Stock or Vegetable Stock
- 2 russet potatoes (1 1/4 pounds), peeled and
cut into chunks
- 4 large heads (1 pound) garlic, cut in half
- Bouquet garni (5 sprigs Italian parsley, 3
sprigs thyme, 1 sprig rosemary)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 bunch rapini (8 ounces)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
Have the Chicken Stock or Vegetable Stock, warm,
in a medium saucepan over low heat.
In a large stockpot, over medium-high heat, preheat
1/4 cup vegetable oil. Sauté the onions, celery, carrot,
and parsnip until the vegetables are lightly colored, about 10 minutes.
Stir the vegetables frequently to prevent uneven browning. Pour
in the warm stock. Add the potatoes, garlic, and bouquet garni,
and gently simmer until the vegetables are softened, about 1 hour.
It is important that the garlic be soft enough to puree smoothly.
Remove the bouquet garni and puree the soup, in
batches, using a food mill or blender. Using a coarse-mesh, stainless-steel
strainer, strain into a clean stockpot and correct the seasoning
to taste with kosher salt and black pepper. Keep warm over low heat
until needed, or allow to cool and refrigerate, covered, for up
to 3 days.
Using a sharp knife, cut off the top 2 inches
of each rapini stalk, reserving the tops and discarding the remaining
portions. In a medium sauté pan, over high heat, preheat
1 tablespoon vegetable oil to smoking. Sauté the rapini tops
until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Season the rapini with about
1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt.
Warm the soup over low heat if necessary. ladle
about 8 ounces into each large, warm soup plate. Add a few sprigs
of seared rapini and a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil to each
portion, and serve immediately.