Seared Foie Gras with
Apple, Endive and Hazelnut Salad
From Chef Chris Douglas of Icarus Restaurant, adapted by
Chef Douglas cooks Innovative American cuisine
with an emphasis on seasonal, sustainable ingredients. He is a member
For the Viniagrette...
- 1 cup cider, reduced to 2 Tablespoons
- 1tbl Cider Vinger
- 1 Small shallot, finely diced
- Pinch of fresh thyme
- salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 cup hazel nut Oil
Into the warm cider reduction(will gell if chilled),
whisk shallots, thyme, and salt and peper. Slowly add the hazelnut
oil to emulsify.
For the salad...
- 2 heads endive, julienned
- 1 fuji or gala apple, julienned
- 1/4 cup Toasted Hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
For the Foie Gras
- 6 2 oz slices of foie gras
- 6 slices of baguette, toasted
- salt and pepper
In a dry hot pan over medium high heat, sear the
seasoned foie gras one minute or less per side.
Toss the apple, endive and hazelnuts with half of the viniagrette.
Mound on large plates and top with crouton and foie gras. Drizzle
the remaining viniagrette around the plate and garnish with finely