SWANK SUMMER SOIRÉE
Despite a streak of truly abysmal weather in our hometown
of New York City it seems like it might finally be safe to
break out the sundresses, linen and designer flip-flops. That
said, it’s also time to give your friends a chance to
wear them when you host a summer soirée worthy of Gatsby
and his crew. We’ll provide a few tips to get you started,
but for really outstanding summer entertaining you’ve
just got to feel the heat and get inspired.
- Cold and fruity. Drinks that is. On days when the temperature
rises nothing is quite so refreshing an ice cold, fruity
cocktail. Pitchers of sangria chock full of fruit, planters
punch or hip and colorful cocktails will cool and refresh.
Try one of these funky
summer drinks from New York and D.C.'s hottest restaurants.
- Go beyond burgers and dogs. When grilling
think past the usual barbecue fare and try something more
innovative and exciting. A butterflied leg of lamb is wonderful
grilled. Serve it with a selection of Middle Eastern mezze
for an elegant summer feast. Or try grilling a whole fish
in a grilling basket for a stunning presentation.
- A fun and impressive addition to any summer party are
homemade popsicles. You can mix any fresh juices and pureed
fruit to make creative combinations. Prepare a Mexican menu
and finish with guava-lime or mango-pineapple ice pops or
if you are having American fare try blueberry-lemonade popsicles.
- Colorful paper lanterns create a summery romantic feel
both indoors and out. Buy strings of globe lights and mini
Chinese lanterns and hang them in your garden or living
- Decorate with vibrant colors. A summer table looks great
decked out in saturated colors. Try a combination of fuchsia,
orange and cherry red.
- Say aloha. Everyone appreciates a luau. Don a grass skirt,
serve something tropical in coconuts, put some Don Ho on
the stereo and get ready to feel the island breeze.
- To make an outdoor party truly elegant, skip the plastic
plates and tumblers and bring out the good stuff. China
and silver used outdoors is unexpected and makes your guests
- Even if you aren’t at the beach, try a clam bake.
You can do it inside or out but everyone will love feasting
on lobsters and shellfish. Try a crisp Sancerre or Muscadet
for the perfect accompaniment.
- Remember to keep it simple. Even if you are going swank
– summer entertaining means simple preparations of
the season’s best produce such as grilled corn with
flavored butters, heirloom tomato salad, and local fish