|Veal Tartare with Goat Cheese Sauce, Mashed Potatoes and Chocolate Croutons
Chef Ramón Freixa of El Raco d’en Freixa
– Barcelona, Spain
Adapted by StarChefs.com
Yield: 6 Servings
- 500 grams veal sirloin
- 1 shallot
- 1 Tablespoon chopped mixed herbs (chives, tarragon, chervil)
- 1 Tablespoon minced gherkins in vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon capers
- 50 grams mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon whipped cream
- 100 grams wheat flour
- 10 grams cocoa powder
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- Salt and pepper
- 400 grams Charlotte potatoes
- 100 milliliters chicken broth
- 200 milliliters cream
- 50 grams clarified butter
Goat Cheese Sauce:
- 200 grams goat cheese
- 1 Tablespoon double cream
- A variety of finely chopped succulent greens, including:
- Ice plant*
- Alfalfa sprouts
* Ice plant is a succulent plant native to South Africa.
For Veal Tartare:
Mince the veal and chop up the shallot and herbs. In a bowl,
combine all the ingredients and place them in the refrigerator.
For Chocolate Croutons:
Preheat oven to 300ºF. Mix all the ingredients until
they come together into a dough. Put the mixture onto a Silpat
mat and shape the dough into tiny rolls. Place them in the
oven until they become dry, taking care not to burn them.
For Mashed Potatoes:
Boil the potatoes with the skin on, then peel them and grind
them up with the rest of the ingredients. Strain them and
put them into a foam canister. Leave canister in a warm water
For Goat Cheese Sauce:
Melt the cheese with the cream until the mixture emulsifies.
Set aside on low heat.
To Assemble and Serve:
On a plate, place a rectangle of tartare together with the
cheese sauce and potatoes. Chop up the greens and sprinkle
them over the top. Crush chocolate croutons and sprinkle crumbs
over veal as well. Serve immediately.
back to top