Mackerel with Pickled Red Onion, Blood Orange and Horseradish Oil
Chef Joseph Fortunato of The Tonic in New York City
Adapted by StarChefs
Yield: 6 servings
3 blood oranges, peeled and sectioned
1 fennel bulb, cleaned and shaved
1 cup pickled red onions
5 medium red onions, sliced into thin rings
2 cups red wine vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons salt
1 stick cinnamon
1 cup water
2 small red beets, peeled and quartered
1 Bay leaf
2 pods cardamon
1 teaspoon mustard powder
6 teaspoons freshly grated horseradish root
1 cup grape seed oil
3 filets mackerel, cut on the bias into-inch pieces
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup fresh limejuice
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Pickled Red Onions
1. Place sliced red onions in a bowl.
2. In a pot, bring the remaining ingredients to a boil and pour over the
3. Cover the onions and let steep for at least one hour or overnight.
1. Place all the ingredients in a blender and puree for about one minute.
2. Strain and reserve
1. Sear the mackerel pieces in a Tablespoon of olive oil, skin side down.
Do not flip,
remove from pan and set aside.
2. Prepare the marinade by combining all the remaining ingredients. Pour
over the seared fish.
3. Cover and let it marinate for 1-3 hours.
1.Toss the fennel and blood oranges with two tablespoon of olive oil and
one Tablespoon of lemon juice
2. Season with salt and pepper and place on plate.
3. Remove one piece of mackerel from the marinade and place on top of
4. Top with pickle onions and drizzle with horseradish oil.
<| Back to Menu