Flan with Sweet Pea Sauce and Morel Vinaigrette
Chef Todd English of Olives
Adapted by StarChefs
Yield: 4 Servings
1 1/2 Tablespoon butter
3 Tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
2 cups heavy cream
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup Parmesan, grated
3 egg yolk
1 whole egg
Sweet Pea Sauce
1 cup frozen peas
Water to cover the peas
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 pounds fresh morel, sliced
1 Tablespoon thyme, chopped
1 Tablespoon scallion, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
lemon juice to taste
1. Pre-heat oven to 325° F.
2. Make a roux of the butter and flour.
3. Slowly add the combined milk and heavy cream and whisk constantly
4. Bring to a boil.
5. Add salt and Parmesan and bring back to a boil.
6. While boiling. Whisk in the combined yolks and eggs.
7. Strain through chinoise and pour into a paper- lined loaf/terrine pan.
8. Bake in a hot water bath (covered) in a 325 conventional oven for 1
hours. It will still jiggle (the edges may still be slightly rounded),
should not be souffleed.
9. Remove from the water bath and allow it to come to room temperature.
Must be chilled overnight to set.
Sweet Pea Sauce
1. Reduce cream by half and let it set to room temperature.
2. In a blender, all frozen peas, cover with water and season with salt
3. Blend until smooth and cream taste.
1. Combine all the ingredients
1. Pre-heat oven to 300° F.
2. Unmold flan onto inverted cookie sheet and slice into 1/4 inch slices.
3. Arrange each slice on a 10-inch plate and place plates on oven for
5 to 6 minutes to warm cheese slightly.
4. Garnish with a spoonful of sweet pea sauce on the side and a small
spoonful of vinaigrette on the side.
5. Dust lightly with grated Parmesan cheese.