Warm Oysters with Julienned
Vegetables, Pernod and Caviar
Yield: 2 Servings
10 oysters (Malpaque, Wellfleet or Long Island)
1 cup carrots, leeks and zucchini, julienned
1 ounce osetra caviar
2 Tablespoons white wine
2 Tablespoons Pernod
1 Tablespoon shallots
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon butter
1 Tablespoon chopped chives
pound seaweed, blanched and refreshed
1. Shuck oysters. Reserve the bottom shell and the liquid.
2. Wash the shells well and put on a sheet pan in a warm place.
3. Dry each oyster on a towel.
4. Blanch the vegetables, separately in boiling salted water until
tender. Drain and spread on sheet tray to cool.
5. Sweat shallots in oil and cook until tender and sweet.
6. Deglaze pan with white wine and Pernod. Reduce liquid by half
and add oyster liquid. Remove from heat and whip in butter with
7. Warm the vegetables in small pot in vegetable stock and olive
oil. Place equal amounts in 10 reserved shells.
8. Quickly sauté the oysters in soybean oil until just warmed.
Place one on top of the vegetables.
9. Emulsify the sauce with a hand-held or counter-top blender.
Spoon sauce on each oyster.
10. Top each with caviar and serve on a bed of seaweed.
pairing: Billecart Salmon, Blanc de Blanc 1990