of Tosca Restaurant, Hingham, Massachusetts
Oysters Wrapped in Pancetta with balsamic vinegar sauce
- 1 dozen Oysters -very fresh and from a reliable fishmonger
- 12 slices, Pancetta-very thinly sliced about 1/8th pound
- 1 cups Balsamic vinegar
- 1 each Cinnamon sticks
- 4 each Juniper berries
- 1 each Bay leaves
- 8 each Whole peppercorns
- 1 Unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
- stick-very cold
1. Carefully open the oysters, reserving the liquor.
Wrap each oyster with pancetta and place in a cleaned oyster shell.
2. Place reserved oyster liquor, vinegar, cinnamon, juniper, bay
leaves, peppercorns in a saucepan and simmer 15 minutes or until
the vinegar has reduced by two thirds.
3. Using a whisk, add the butter one piece at a time and whisk
until all the butter is incorporated before adding more butter.
If the sauce seems about to boil remove it from the heat-if the
sauce boils it will break.
4. Keep adding butter one piece at a time until the sauce is thick
and tasty- you may not need one or two pieces.
5. Roast the oysters for 6-10 minutes in a preheated 450F oven-until
the pancetta is almost crispy.
6. Remove the oysters from the oven, allow to cool for 2 minutes,
arrange on a serving platter and drizzle the balsamic vinegar sauce
over the oysters.