Cheese Winner's Purse
Adapted by StarChefs from Sarah
Stegner, The Dining Room, The Ritz Carlton
medium-size plum tomatoes, peeled, cut crosswise into halves, and seeded
1/4 cup of olive
salt & pepper
1 package of phyllo dough, thawed
1/2 lb of goat cheese
2 tablespoons finely chopped mixed fresh basil, Italian parsley, and thyme
Preheat the oven to 180°.
2. Put tomato halves cut sides up in a small, shallow baking dish. Drizzle
lightly with some olive oil and season with salt & pepper. Roast until
look slightly dried, about three hours. (Increase the heat to 225°
to cut down on time.)
3. Remove tomatoes and increase temperature to 375°.
4. Take one layer of the phyllo and brush it lightly but evenly with olive
oil. Place a second sheet on top and repeat with the olive oil. Repeat
a third and fourth sheet. With a long sharp knife, cut the stacked sheets
into 4 equal rectangular stacks.
5. In the center of each stack, place two tablespoons of goat cheese.
with roasted tomato and sprinkle with 3/4 tsp. of herbs. Then, in the
way, add one more layer of cheese tomato & herbs.
6. Fold in either triangles or rectangles. Brush with more olive oil.
7. Place packages on a baking sheet without touching. Bake until phyllo
golden brown and filling is hot and bubbly. 7-10 minutes. Serve