Winter Fruits Salad with Endive and Walnuts
1. In a small saucepan, warm the cider over medium-high heat until hot but not boiling. Remove from the heat and add the cranberries. Let the cranberrries macerate in the cider for 20 to 30 minutes.
2. Tear the endive leaves in half and place in a large bowl. Add the watercress, chopped apple and chopped pear and toss to combine.
3. In a small bowl, whisk the mustard, vinegar and lemon juice together. Slowly add the olive oil, whisking constantly, until the vinaigrette thickens.
4. Cut the apple into thin wedges.
5. Toss about 1/3 cup of the vinaigrette with the salad and heap the salad into a large shallow bowl or platter. Sprinkle the walnut halves and crumbled cheese over the top. Drain the cranberries and sprinkle them over the top. Garnish with the apple wedges and drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette. Serve immediately.
Note: To toast the walnuts, spread them on a baking sheet and toast them in a preheated 350¡F. oven or toaster oven for about 5 minutes until golden brown and fragrant. Shake the pan once or twice for even toasting. Slide the nuts off the baking sheet as soon as they reach the desired color to halt the cooking and let them cool.