1 tablespoon unsalted butter
3 medium tart apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
2 medium pears, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
2 tablespoons sugar
1 3/4 cups unbleached flour
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 large eggs
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1. To make the fruit topping, melt the butter in a medium skillet. Add the apples and pears and sautŽ over low heat for about 5 minutes. Stir in the sugar, cover the pan, and cook for about 10 minutes longer, occasionally shaking the pan, until the apples and pears are soft. Cover to keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, to make the pancakes, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl.
3. In another bowl, beat the eggs lightly and then stir in the milk. Pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients and combine with a few quick strokes using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Stir in the melted butter only until mixed. The batter will be slightly lumpy.
4. Heat a large skillet or griddle over high heat. Spray with vegetable oil spray or brush with oil. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of batter onto the skillet for each pancake and cook the pancakes for about 2 to 3 minutes, turning once when the pancakes are golden brown on the bottom, until golden brown on both sides. Stack the cooked pancakes on a heatproof platter and keep warm in a warm (200¡F.) oven. Continue making pancakes until all the batter is used.
5. Serve the pancakes warm with a spoonful of topping over each one.