First Annual SMOKE@ICC BBQ Rules and Regulations
- Prep begins at 7am and smokers start at 7:30am.
- Teams 1 - 5 will begin smoking their proteins at 9:30am. Teams 6 - 10 will begin smoking their proteins at 9:45am.
Exception: Teams may prepare brisket for the People’s Choice round in advance.
- Each team will have one smoker and a preparation area.
- Teams will be scored after each round and individual round prizes will be awarded. There will also be a Grand Prize for the team that finishes with the highest score.
- To comply with required safety measures, all persons entering and exiting the Pier
will be subject to a bag search.
- Each round of the competition will require the use of one or more featured
ingredient(s) and/or equipment.
- StarChefs.com will provide brisket from sponsor, Meat & Livestock
Australia, which must be used for the People’s Choice round.
- Each team will be required to use Gochujang Korean Fermented Red
Pepper Paste in Round 2 - New American.
Judging and Awards
- Judges will conduct a double blind tasting panel before scoring each round of the competition.
- Winners will be awarded for each round, category, People's Choice, and Grand Prize. People's Choice will account for 10 percent of the final team score.
- Judging of each round will be based on the following categories
- People’s Choice (10 percent of overall score)
Times for judging are as follows:
- Round 1: Teams 1 - 5 are 1:30 and Teams 6 - 10 are 1:45
- Round 2: Teams 1 - 5 are 2:00 and Teams 6 - 10 are 2:15
- Round 3: Teams 1 - 5 are 2:30 and Teams 6 - 10 are 2:45
- Round 4: Teams 1 - 5 are 3:00 and Teams 6 - 10 are 3:15
All judging will be finished no later than 3:45 p.m
People’s Choice will be held during the public event surrounding SMOKE@ICC.
Each team will prepare 500, two ounce portions, for guests to taste, and guests will have the opportunity to vote for their favorite dish.
Preperation of sauces, rubs, and/or mise en place may be done in advance of the competition.