Grape, Glass, Growth: Crush@ ICC
Paul Greico attempts to convert oenophiles into fellow Reisling fanatics.
The six remaining somms make on-the-fly selections on Day 2 of the 2nd Annual StarChefs.com Somm Slam.
Master Sommelier Geoff Kruth shows there is far more to New Zealand wines than Sauvignon Blanc at his workshop.
François Chartier's Taste Buds and Molecules workshop helped show sommeliers how to forge unity between disparate foods and aromatic wines.
Wine wild man Fred Dexheimer makes the case for vino at the Burger Pairing Showdown.
Wine being served at Congress Cocktail
Sommelier Roger Dagorn makes the case to break sake out of its pigeonhole during his “Pairing Sake out of the Bento Box” workshop.
Getting ready for vino with the official StarChefs.com International Chefs Congress Somm Slam glass.
Where traditional wine gatherings might reasonably end with unpacking the tastes and textures of a given vintage, varietal, or wine cellar, the wine programming at the 7th Annual StarChefs.com International Chefs Congress incorporates every facet of a sommelier’s professional life. As an added bonus, wine professionals can register for a $199 ICC beverage package with the code BEVICC. The package includes an all-access pass to wine and spirits workshops—plus a three-day conference pass, September 30 to October 2. Sign up to attend these workshops:
- Parse the natural wine debate with Paul Einbund (Frances – San Francisco) and Pascaline Lepeltier (Tomate Rouge – New York City).
- Forget the wine label. Learn how to build your own “somm brand” with Anthony Giglio (Wine Wise Guy – New York City) and Marnie Old (Marnie Old Wines – Philadelphia).
- Talk and taste Georgian wines and their ancient origins with Lisa Granik (TastingWorks – Brooklyn).
- Taste Chile’s terroir with culinary historian and Chef Maricel Presilla (Cucharamama – Hoboken, NJ) and South American oeno-enthusiast Sommelier Fred Dexheimer (Juiceman Consulting – New York City).
- Learn how big players Olivier Flosse (MARC Restaurants – New York City), Daniel Johnnes (Dinex Group – New York City), and Emily Wines (Kimpton – San Francisco) build wine programs for multi-unit restaurant groups.
- Explore Côte-Rôtie—the heart of the Rhône—with Michael Madrigale and Chef Damien Sansonetti (Bar Boulud – New York City).
- Get caffeinated alongside Master Sommelier Fred Dexheimer (Juiceman Consulting – New York City) as he pairs Nespresso coffees with wines, spirits, and chocolates—in the fine art of coffee harmonization.
- Go beyond the bottle with mixology workshops from Dave Wondrich, Gaz Regan, Jim Meehan, Audrey Saunders, Jeffrey Morgenthaler, and more.
Crush@ICC is all about loosening your tie or kicking off your heels and diving into the grit of the grape, in a universe of peers and new ideas. And its all capped off by the 3rd Annual StarChefs.com Somm Slam a three-day wine battle unlike any other.