Sweet Skills: Pastry Program at ICC
Chef Jordan Kahn of Red Medicine – Los Angeles, CA, has the participants of his workshop “The Coloristic Use of Dissonance” wear color-blocking goggles while tasting a dish.
Paco Torreblanca puts olive oil to use in lieu of butter during “A Peek into Pasteleria Totel.”
Armagnac Jelly-filled Walnut Candies with Goat's Milk Ice Cream and Salted Walnuts from the main stage presentation of Chef Andoni Luis Aduriz of Mugaritz – Errenteria, Spain
Audience participants during Dominique Persoone's and Bernard Lahousse's main stage presentation “Chocolate is Rock'n'Roll and the Science of Food Pairings”
Pastry Chef Mindy Segal of HotChocolate – Chicago, IL during her workshop, “The Art of Artisan Pastry”
Alex Stupak, Johnny Iuzzini, and Sam Mason during their main stage presentation “Three Men and a Dessert”
Tristar Strawberry Consommé, Red Bell Pepper Meringue, Cilantro Oil, and Ricotta Sorbet by International Pastry Competition Contender Pastry Chef Jennifer Yee of SHO Shaun Hergatt – New York City, NY
Pastry Chef Jashmine Corpuz of Bottega Louie Restaurant and Gourmet Market – Los Angeles, CA, plates her Jalapeño Sherbet, Cilantro Granita, Crystallized Macadamia Nuts, Lime Gelée, and Rum Panna Cotta in the first round of the International Pastry Competition.
International Pastry Competition Judges Elizabeth Falkner and Jacques Torres have some fun while tasting dishes.
Pre-Gel gelato stand at the International Chefs Congress Products Fair
Pastry is an evolving art form, incorporating savory products, avant-garde concepts, and a greater sense of freedom of exploration—which makes it a prime candidate for discussion, dissection, and degustation at StarChefs.com 7th Annual International Chefs Congress. We'll go from the precision of hands-on workshops and technique demonstrations to a discussion of the evolution of the craft in its entirety. And as a sweet reward for pastry chefs, StarChefs.com is offering a three-day ICC Pastry Pass for $199. Use the code PCPC2 when registering to save 40 percent off ICC ticket prices and gain full access to our pastry program, including these workshops and panels:
- Master French technique with Dominique Ansel (Dominique Ansel Bakery – New York City) as he reveals the secrets (layer by layer) of laminated dough
- Take stock of the pastry industry and evolving role of sweet chefs with Johnny Iuzzini (Sugar Fueled Inc. – New York City), Jordan Kahn (Red Medicine – Los Angeles), Michael Laiskonis (Institute of Culinary Education – New York City), Sam Mason (Empire Mayonnaise Co. – Brooklyn), and Alex Stupak (Empellón – New York City).
- The fluffy stuff gets a makeover as Shawn Gawle (Corton – New York City) modernizes the marshmallow.
- Francisco Migoya (Culinary Institute of America – Hyde Park) takes the simple equation of chocolate to a whole new level, blurring the line between entremets and the chocolate bar.
- Join Angela Pinkerton (Eleven Madison Park – New York City) in turning classic pastry concepts on their head with avant-garde sensibilities.
- Watch Spanish Chef Josean Alija (Nerua at the Guggenheim – Bilbao) highlight techniques that bring out the essential, pure, and natural flavors in dessert—using little to no sugar.
- Shake it up with Plinio Sandalio (Carrilon – Austin) as he doses pastry with a taste of bitters and cocktail culture.
Clear your plates. And don't forget to prime your sweet tooth for the ICC Main Stage. It's the 3rd Annual StarChefs.com International Pastry Competition. Still one of the only pastry competitions to highlight the skills of the restaurant pastry chef, this year's (bitter) sweet battle will showcase 20 of the most exciting young pastry chefs in the country.