Interview with 2012 Atlanta Rising Star Mixologist Miles Macquarrie
Katherine Sacks: What is your style as a mixologist?
Miles Macquarrie: I’m very much technique-driven; I would much rather have a well prepared classic with the right technique than anything else. Outside of that, I like to pick apart classic cocktails, seeing what you can make on your own. We have a lot of creative cocktails but they all start somewhere. I’m also lucky enough to work with great chefs, and we work with some of the same products. Our style is everything from very aromatic drinks to boozy cocktails and everything in between.
KS: How did you learn the tricks of the mixology industry?
MM: I worked for this company for about seven years, and before that I was a bartender and manager for a company around corner from here. I also staged at Holeman & Finch for a little bit. I did research and am self taught for the most part.
KS: Who are your mentors?
MM: Greg Bess, Jim Meehan of PTD, and Sasha Petraske. Also Michael Gallagher, one of the owners, at Leon’s Full Service. He knows how to treat staff right and do good food.
KS: Where do you get inspiration for your cocktails from?
MM: All over the place: from old cocktail books, from food, from other bartenders, from music, a sense of place, time and seasons.
KS: Where will we find you in five years?
MM: At Kimball Mill, a bar project in Atlanta that I’m working on. It should open in 2012.
- Heart of Glass
- The Atlanta Rising Stars Winners: Why They Shine
- Good Ol’ Southern Food (and Drink) in ATL
- Blood Water: Death's Door Gin, Lime, Ginger, Orgeat, and Bitter Truth Creole Bitters
- 2012 Atlanta Rising Star Mixologist Miles Macquarrie
- The Weekly Mix: Bitters Blood for a Cocktail Ocean
- Drink Up, Atlanta
- Fly on the Wall: 2012 Atlanta Rising Stars Honorees Dinner
- The Bartending Mixologist
- Southern Kicks
- Diamond Rock
- 2012 StarChefs.com Atlanta Rising Stars Purveyors
- 2012 Atlanta Rising Stars
Mixologist Miles MacquarrieLeon's Full Service
131 East Ponce de Leon Avenue
Decatur, GA 30030
Top 5 Jobs
- Relais & Chateaux Property in Colorado looking for Sous Chef
- Ritz-Carlton Property in Lake Tahoe is Seeking Line Cooks
- Do you have a true appreciation for different types of cuisines?
- Local Seasonal cooking from our own 1 acre Garden!
- Give Your Culinary Career A Big Boost - Sous Chefs Sought in NYC!