Thai Curry Shrimp with Golden Pineapple and Steamed Jasmine Rice
Chef de Cuisine Cliff Wharton of TenPenh Restaurant
— Washington, D.C.
Adapted by StarChefs
Yield: 10 servings
For Curry Paste
- ¾ cup red chile
- 1 cup lemongrass, chopped
- ¼ cup galangal (galangal is young ginger)
- 1½ cups garlic, chopped
- 1½ cups onion, chopped
- ½ Tablespoon shrimp paste
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ Tablespoon coriander seeds, toasted
- 2 cups curry paste (see recipe above)
- 4 (10 ounce) cans of coconut milk
- ½ cup palm sugar
- ¾ cup fish sauce
- 10 shrimp per person, peeled and deveined (26-30 shrimp per
- 1 Tablespoon fresh pineapple per person, cut into ½
- inch cubes
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
Prepare the Curry Paste:
In a blender, combine all ingredients. Purée until all ingredients
are thoroughly blended. Pour mixture into a large stockpot and cook
over a low flame for about 4 hours. Set aside.
Prepare the Sauce:
In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring mixture to
a simmer over low heat. Simmer for 45 minutes. Set aside.
Prepare the Shrimp:
In a sauté pan over medium heat, add the olive oil. Once
the oil is hot, add the shrimp and sauté until they are almost
pink. Quickly add the sauce and the pineapple cubes. Continue cooking
for about 5 minutes.
Place 4 ounces of jasmine rice in the center of each plate. Pour
shrimp curry, approximately 10 shrimp per person, over rice. Garnish
with a julienned kaffir lime leaf.