Manila Clams, Pancetta and Hot Chiles
Yield: 4 servings as a main
- 1 pound linguine
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely minced
- 1/4 pound pancetta, cut into 1/8th
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly
- 6 Tablespoons extra virgin olive
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chiles
- 1 pound Manila clams, scrubbed and
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, finely
chopped, to yield 1/4 cup
Bring six quarts of water to boil and
add 2 tablespoons salt.
In a large sauté pan, sauté
red onion, pancetta and garlic over medium heat until onion
is very soft and pancetta is translucent, about 10 minutes.
Add hot chiles, clams, white wine and butter and bring to
a boil. Cook until all clams have opened, and then set aside.
Boil linguine according to package
instructions. While softened but still form, drain in colander
over sink and toss into plan with clams and stir gently to
mix. This should still be a little broth-like. Add chopped
parsley, pour into warm serving bowl and serve.