Spicy Nut and Raisin Mix
Recipe from Cooking with Too Hot Tamales,
by Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger (William Morrow, 1997)
Yield: About 4 cups
- 2 Tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed to a paste
- 2/3 cup almonds with skins
- 2/3 cup pecans
- 2/3 cup unsalted cashew pieces or pistachios
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons chile powder mix
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/3 cup thin pretzel sticks, broken in 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of sugar
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Heat the oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Sauté the garlic 1 to 2 minutes. Add the almonds, pecans, cashews, Worcestershire sauce, chile powder, and cayenne and mix well. Stir in the pretzels and cook, stirring frequently, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a baking sheet. Add the remaining ingredients and bake, shaking the pan and stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes. Turn the mixture into a serving dish and cool.
Main Menu | Recipe Search | Newsgroups | Rumbles & Murmurs | Culinary Careers
QuickMeals | Secret Ingredients | Help Wanteds | Archives | Feedback
Copyright 1998 StarChefs. All rights reserved.