- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoon amaretto
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cornstarch mixed with cold water until incorporated
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- Crushed amaretti cookies
- Brown sugar
1. Warm heavy cream, vanilla, amaretto, and salt in a saucepan.
2. When warming, stir in cornstarch and water mixture.
3. Stir egg yolks and sugar together.
4. Pour approximately 1/3 cup of warmed heavy cream mixture into egg mixture to temper it. Mix through without creating bubbles.
5. Repeat step 4.
6. Then pour in remaining heavy cream mixture.
7. Laddle this mixture into custard cups. Put cups in a baking pan and cover them with buttered parchment paper.
8. Fill baking pan (bain marie) with hot water 1/2 way up the custard cups.
9. Bake at 300 degrees F for 1 hour 15 minutes.
10. Cool to room temperature then refrigerate.
11. Top the custard cups with a thin layer of crushed amaretti cookies and brown sugar mixture.
12. Place under broiler just until light color change and some bubbling.