Yield: 6 servings or 1 1/2 cups
- 2 red peppers, halved, seeded and deveined
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped chives
- Assorted raw vegetables, crackers or Parmesan Garlic Toasts (see following recipe)
Preheat the broiler. Place the pepper halves directly on a broiler
tray pan and spoon the olive oil over them. Broil, turning often, until
the skins are charred. Transfer to a small paper bag and fold to seal.
Set aside to cool inside the bag. When cool, rub the charred skin from
the peppers and cut them into a fine dice. Transfer to a bowl.
Put the cream cheese, sour cream, onion, Tabasco sauce,
Worcestershire sauce and cayenne pepper in the bowl of a food processor
fitted with the plastic or metal blade and process until smooth. Scrape
the mixture into the bowl with the peppers. Add the chives and mix well.
Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
Let the spread come to room temperature before serving. Serve with
raw vegetables, crackers, or Parmesan Garlic Toasts.
Parmesan Garlic Toasts
Hot garlic toasts pulled from the oven when the cheese has melted and
just turned golden brown are irresistible when topped with creamy
Roasted Red Pepper Spread.
- 1 loaf French or Italian bread, cut into twelve 1 inch round slices
- 6 cloves garlic, halved
- 3 or 4 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Rub each slice of bread generously with a garlic half and place on a
Brush the olive oil over the bread slices. Sprinkle with the cheese
and bake for 3 or 4 minutes until golden brown. Serve immediately with
the Roasted Red Pepper Spread.