SIX TO EIGHT SERVINGS
- 2 fresh medium tomatoes
- 1/2 cup light olive oil or other vegetable oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 fresh or drained canned jalapeno or other hot green chili pepper,
- 8 cups Basic Chicken Soup
Broth, seasoned with bay leaf.
- 1 1/2 cups diced cooked chicken breast meat
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas, cut into 1/4-inch slivers
- salt and black pepper, to taste
FOR THE GARNISH
- Tortilla strips
- Grated Monterey jack or fairly dry mozzarella cheese
- Minced hot green chili peppers
- Diced avocado
- Fresh cilantro (coriander) leaves
- Sour cream
- Lime wedges
PREPARATION : To
peel tomatoes easily and give them a slightly smoky flavor
hold one at a time over the flame of a burner, using a long wood
handled carving fork; alternatively, cut in half and place cut side
down on foil under broiler. Either way, skin will brown and crack
and be easily pulled off. Squeeze seeds and juices from peeled
tomatoes and chop.
Heat all but 3 tablespoons oil in a small skillet and saute garlic,
onion, and chilies until wilted and just beginning to turn light
golden, about 8 minutes. Add tomatoes and saute and stir until
juice evaporates and mixture thickens a bit. Add to chicken soup
in a 3-quart saucepan.
Simmer soup with chicken for 15 minutes before serving and
Meanwhile, heat remaining 3 tablespoons oil in a heavy 10-inch
skillet and brown the tortilla strips in batches, one layer at a
time, turning frequently so strips turn an even golden brown.
This will take about 3 minutes, but watch carefully as strips
blacken suddenly. Drain on a paper towel.
Divide tortilla strips among 6 or 8 soup bowls and ladle soup
with solids over them. Add other garnishes or pass them at
Recipe from "The
Whole World Love Chicken Soup"
Reproduced by permission from Warner Books .
Copyright © 1995 by Mimi Sheraton
Return to Mimi Sheraton's:
[ Home Page ][
Bio][ Cookbook ][ Recipes
Menu | Recipe Search | Newsgroups
| Rumbles & Murmurs | Culinary
QuickMeals | Secret
Ingredients | Help Wanteds
| Archives | Feedback
Copyright © 1996 StarChefs. All rights