This cake is low in saturated fat but not flavor.
Yield: at least 8 servings
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Brush the bottom, sides, and cone of an 8-to-9-inch tube pan with olive oil.
2. Use an electric mixer to combine the olive oil and sugar, then add the eggs and beat until thick and fluffy, 5 to 7 minutes. Grind 1/2 cup of almonds until fine. Mix them with the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
3. Stir a portion of the flour mixture into the egg mixture, then add a little of the orange juice. Repeat, stirring after each addition, until well blended. stir in the orange zest, then turn the batter into the tube pan ; sprinkle with the remaining slivered almonds.
4. Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 15 minutes in the pan, then invert onto a rack and remove the pan. Cut carefully around the sides of the cake and remove. Cool for 10 minutes before turning right side up onto another rack.
5. To glaze, stir together the orange juice and confectioners' sugar until smooth and spoon over the top of the cake. Let cool completely before cutting. Store for up to a day at room temperature, covered with waxed paper.
to Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food
by Mark Bittman