JACQUES'S BASIC LEEK AND POTATO SOUP
Yield: 2 quarts
- 2 Tablespoons olive, canola, or corn oil
- 4 cups sliced leeks, trimmed and rinsed (from 12 ounces untrimmed leeks)
- 1 ½ cups sliced onion, 1-inch pieces (about 6 ounces)
- 6 cups hot chicken stock, homemade, or low-sodium canned broth
- 4 cups peeled, diced potatoes, 2-inch chunks (about 1 ½ pounds
- Salt to taste, depending on the saltiness of broth
- ½ Tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
Any of enrichments and garnishes listed with JULIA'S BASIC LEEK AND POTATO
A large, heavy-bottomed 3- or 4-quart saucepan with cover
Heat the oil in the saucepan, stir in the leek and onion pieces, and sauté
for about 5 minutes over moderate heat, to soften.
Add the chicken stock and potato chunks, and season with salt to taste and
the pepper. Bring the soup to a boil over high heat, cover the pan, and
adjust the heat to maintain a gentle boil. Cook for about 20 minutes, until
the potatoes are quite tender.
Mash, blend, or purée it to the desired consistency and adjust the
seasonings. Serve the soup right away, or set aside until serving time.
Garnish or vary the soup with additional ingredients as suggested.