B I O G R A P H Y
Daniel Boulud was raised in Lyon, France on his family's farm. After working in the kitchens of some of the most prestigious chefs in Europe, including George Blanc, Michel Guérard, and Roger Vergé, he came to the United States over ten years ago. In the ensuing decade, he created fine cuisine at the Polo Restaurant, Le Régence, and finally joined world-renowned Le Cirque, where he was named Executive Chef in 1986. He has been voted Best Chef of the Year by his professional colleagues in the Chef in America Association, and under his command Le Cirque was chosen by Gault Millau as the best restaurant in the United States and was awarded four stars by the New York Times. He is consistently lauded in the press as one of the most recognized young French chefs cooking in America today. His restaurant, Daniel, opened in the spring of 1993 to immediate success and acclaim from critics and food lovers alike. In January of 1999, the restaurant moved to its spacious and luxurious new home on 65th Street at Park Avenue.
A W A R D S   A N D   A C H I E V E M E N T S
R E S T A U R A N T   D A N I E L   A W A R D S:
- New York Observer **** (4 Stars) - March 1999
- Daily News **** (4 Stars) - February 1999
- Food Arts Magazine "Silver Spoon Award" - December 1998
- Nation's Restaurant News "Fine Dining Hall of Fame" - May 1998
- Wine Spectator "New York City's Top Food Rating" - April 1998
- Zagat Survey "Top Food Ranking", New York City Restaurants - 1998
- Playboy Magazine "No. 1: Critic's Choice, The 25 Best Restaurant's in America" - March 1998
- Where NY Visitors Choice Awards, "One of the Top 25 Restaurants in NYC" - March 1997 & March 1998
- Gourmet Magazine "America's Top Tables," No.1 in New York City - October 1997
- Mobil Travel Guide ***** (5 Stars) - 1997 & 1998
- Gayot's NYC Restaurants (Gault Millau) 19/20 - 1997 & 1996
- Automobile Club of America **** (4 Diamonds) - 1997 & 1996
- Gourmet Magazine "America's Top Tables", No.4 in New York City - October 1996
- Crain's New York Business **** (4 Stars) - August 1996
- Distinguished Restaurants of North America Award - 1996
- Mobil Travel Guide **** (4 Stars) - 1996 & 1995
- James Beard Foundation Daniel Boulud inducted into Who's Who of Food and Beverage - May 1995
- James Beard Foundation François Payard named "Outstanding Pastry Chef of the Year" - May 1995
- Wine Spectator "Dining in America Award" for "Dining Excellence, Outstanding Wine, Impeccable Service and Sophisticated Ambiance" - 1995
- GQ Magazine "The Golden Dish Award" - 1995 & 1994
- The New York Times **** (4 Stars) - November 1994
- The International Herald Tribune "One of the Ten Best Restaurants in the World" - October & January 1994
- James Beard Foundation Daniel Boulud named "Outstanding Chef of the Year" - May 1994
- Bon Appétit "Best Restaurant of the Year" - 1994
- The International Herald Tribune "Number One Restaurant in the United States" - December 1993
- The New York Observer **** (4 Stars) - November 1993
- Esquire "Best New Restaurant" - 1993
- James Beard Foundation Daniel Boulud named "Best American Chef: New York City" - 1992
Café Boulud, 20 East 76th Street, NYC opened in September 1998 in the former home of DANIEL. The restaurant is named for the local café Daniel Boulud's family owned and ran outside Lyon at the turn of the century. DANIEL closed temporarily during the summer and fall of 1998 and reopened in January 1999 in its spacious and luxurious new location at 60 East 65th Street, NYC. Private parties may enjoy Daniel's sumptuous French cuisine inspired by the market in the Bellecour Room, or at an off premises event through Feast & Fêtes, the exclusive catering department of DANIEL. Daniel's other endeavors include his "Private Stock" line of Caspian caviar and Scottish smoked salmon offered via direct mail; as well as a partnership with award-winning Pastry Chef François Payard in Payard Pâtisserie & Bistro, 1032 Lexington Avenue, NYC, which opened in August 1997.
D A N I E L   B O U L U D ' S   A C H I E V E M E N T S:
- AUTHOR, with Dorie Greesnpan, of The Café Boulud Cookbook, to be published by Scribner, Fall 1999.
- COLUMNIST of "Daniel's Dish," for Elle Décor Magazine, August 1995-present.
- AUTHOR of Cooking with Daniel Boulud, released by Random House in October 1993, nominated Best Cookbook of the Year/ International by the James Beard Foundation in 1994.
- CREATOR and EDITOR of the acclaimed monthly newsletter "Easy Cooking with Great Chefs," 1988- 1989.
- GUEST CHEF on many television and radio talk shows including Midday News (NBC), David Letterman (NBC), House Party (NBC), Regis and Kathy Lee (ABC), Cuisine Rapide with Pierre Franey (PBS), Cooking with Burt Wolf (CNN), Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous (WB), "The Main Ingredient" (Lifetime TV), The TV Food Network, WQXR, etc.
- CHARITY DONOR & ORGANIZER for many national and international organizations including City Meals on Wheels, Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, The Jewish National Fund, The James Beard Foundation, Comité Colbert, March of Dimes, Community Servings (Boston) and Channel 13.
- GUEST INSTRUCTOR & LECTURER at several schools and organizations including Cornell University, Syracuse University, The Culinary Institute of America, The French Culinary Institute, Peter Kump's New York Cooking School, Macy's "Degustibus," Bloomingdale's "The Main Course," and the Alliance Française.
Daniel's: [ Bio][ Cookbook ][ Recipes ][ Restaurant ]
Main Menu | Recipe Search | Newsgroups | Rumbles & Murmurs | Culinary Careers
QuickMeals | Secret Ingredients | Help Wanteds | Archives | Feedback
Copyright © 1999 StarChefs, Inc. All rights reserved.