Zucchini Squash Pancakes
These delicious vegetable pancakes are an excellent showcase for zucchini, which is so abundant during the summer.
1. Using the large-hole side of a hand grater or the medium blade setting on a mandoline, slice the zucchini in julienne strips, rotating the zucchini to use only the flesh and not the seeds. Place the zucchini in a large mixing bowl.
- 25 medium zucchini, washed and stems cut
- Zest of 3 lemons
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 2 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable oil, for cooking
- Topping: Goat cheese, roasted tomatoes, or fruit chutney
- Optional garnish: Nasturtium leaves
2. Toss the zucchini with the lemon zest and salt and let sit for approximately 8 minutes, until the zucchini starts to soften. Add the Parmesan cheese, parsley, basil and pepper and toss well.
3. Start adding the flour a little at a time, mixing well after each addition. When you have added about 4 1/2 cups flour, make a test pancake about the size of a silver dollar in your hand. If the ingredients bind together but aren't too pasty the pancake is ready to cook.
4. Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and fry the pancakes in batches for approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side, until golden. remove to absorbent towels to drain. Repeat the process with the remaining pancakes, adding more oil for each 1 to 2 batches.
5. Just before serving, top the pancakes with goat cheese, roasted tomatoes, or fruit chutney. Garnish each pancake with a nasturtium leaf if you like.
Makes 90 to 1000 1 1/2-inch pancakes.
PLANNING AHEAD: The zucchini can be shredded, and the herbs chopped, up to 1 day ahead and kept covered in the refrigerator. Mix the ingredients together up to 1 hour before you plan to Cook the pancakes. The cooked pancakes can be made up 8 hours before you plan to serve them and reheated on a baking sheet in a 250F oven for about 3 minutes. Garnish right before serving.
Main Menu | Recipesearch | Newsgroups | Rumbles & Murmurs | Culinary Careers
QuickMeals | Secret Ingredients | Help Wanteds | Archives | Feedback
Copyright © 1997 StarChefs All rights reserved.